Advertisement

'closer than they appear' - Katy & Max Milian

'closer than they appear' - Katy & Max Milian Lyricist: Katy Milian
Composer: Max Milian

An original song inspired by Paula Vogel’s play, “How I Learned to Drive.”
The song will premier at Wake Forest University’s production of this play, running from 9/20-9/29.
If you are in the Winston-Salem area, you can get your tickets here:

A note from the songwriter:
I’m a firm believer my art breathes more with each person I am able to share it with, so thank you for listening and to the WFU Theatre department for giving me such a unique platform to share my art.  

My song “closer than they appear” is not about this play.  It is not “Lil Bit’s song” or from her POV.  Rather, it’s a song inspired by Vogel’s exploration of pain as a gift, one that helps you learn and grow.  I was struck by the power that comes with taking control of the car and your narrative.  As I wrote, I clung to that feeling of taking control when control has been taken from you.  I considered what gives me that same “flight of body” freedom-sensation in my own life?  The answer is: singing. This play is ultimately about healing. A most important lesson I’ve learned is figuring out what you can and cannot control.  When you accept those truths, that is how you can heal, forgive, and experience the freedom to move on.  But in order to move forward, you must first look back.  I now notice what is behind me and let go of it as just that: something behind me.  But I appreciate it too, honor it for shaping me, and embrace it as “I smile as I adjust my rear view mirror.”

max,milian,max milian,music,music video,video,music life,music playlist,katy,audio,closer,than,they,appear,wake,forest,university,theater,thatre,how,I learned,to drive,roc,rock,punk rock,new rock,2019 rock,

Post a Comment

0 Comments