Advertisement

'Isn't that dangerous?': an objective analysis of common backcountry risks

'Isn't that dangerous?': an objective analysis of common backcountry risks Have you ever heard the question “Isn’t that dangerous?” from a family member, friend, or random stranger about your backpacking or thru hiking escapades? I certainly have and as an engineer, I couldn't not do an objective risk analysis of some common dangers in the back country. While it probably will do nothing to stop your mother from worrying, I'm hoping that this video will help start a conversation on how we as outdoor enthusiasts can use common risk analysis tools to better evaluate the dangers we subject ourselves to in the back country.

DISCLAIMER: this video is just for entertainment purposes; don’t use this as an excuse to justify any of your behavior or actions. A risk analysis serves as one tool of many you should be using to research and evaluate the risks you take while engaged in outdoor activities. Just because I say something isn’t technically risky doesn’t mean you can’t get hurt doing it. There is always some risk in any activity you do, even those considered safe; don’t be an idiot.

If you enjoyed this video, please consider liking and subscribing! Your comments mean so much to me, so make sure to let me know what you think!

I'll be hiking the PCT in 2020! If you want to follow along with my journey, follow me on Instagram (@rauerto) for the latest updates.

Sources:

Yellowstone Bear Report:


Bear attacks and fatalities report:


Wildfire statistics:


Process Hazard Analysis details:


My PHA spreadsheet:

risks

Post a Comment

0 Comments